Recognizing SNJ's Top Scholar Athletes since 1945
Organized on November 28, 1945, the Phillips R. Brooks Memorial Football Club was formed to perpetuate the memory of the late Phillips R. Brooks (4/1/1895 - 1/12/1945), Camden High School Athletic Director. The club was created as an incentive for high school athletes and established goals to promote sportsmanship and team play; to help in furthering better relations between officials and coaches; and, to be instrumental in bringing together those interested in the national fall pastime by means of luncheon meetings for open football discussions.
On the passing of Howard T. Irvine (7/29/1897-11/25/1948), Collingswood High School Athletic Director, it was unanimously voted to change the name of the organization to the Brooks-Irvine Memorial Football Club of South Jersey. This was done in recognition of the fact that both men exhibited positive character traits and instilled those traits in the youth of South Jersey with whom they were associated. Both men also promoted the principles of scholarship and sportsmanship in their involvement with scholastic sporting activities throughout the state of New Jersey.